Canadian Experience Class

Canadian Experience Class
Posted By On February 7, 2024

The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents.

This is 1 of the 3 federal programs managed through Express Entry

Minimum requirements

You must meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (writing, reading, listening, speaking) and have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply.

The work experience must be: full-time or an equal amount in part-time and have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally.

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification, skilled work experience means: managerial jobs (skill level 0), professional jobs (skill type A) and technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B).

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the National Occupational Classification. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Self-employment and student work experience

Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program.


There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class. But, if you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool, there are 2 ways you can do this.

If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary (high school) or
  • post-secondary school


If you have foreign education, you can get points for:

  • a completed foreign credential, and
  • an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    • secondary (high school) or
    • post-secondary school

Language ability

You must:

  • meet the minimum language level of:
    • Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or
    • Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs
  • take approved language tests for:
    • writing
    • reading
    • listening
    • speaking

Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

Next steps

Let’s get your documents ready

You need documents, such as language test results, to show that you’re eligible for Express Entry. Some documents take a long time to get, so you should get them ready now.

We can assist with submitting your profile. Contact a Toronto Immigration Lawyer today at Affinity Law and let us make things easy and less confusing for you.